Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How long before you can run after meniscus surgery?

I am debating having surgery for a torn meniscus. (Superiorly surfacing oblique tear in the posterior horn of the medial mensicus, to be exact.)





I can run and do most things pain free, but I have a lot of pain in the back of my knee with deep flexion. I cannot squat, sit %26quot;indian style,%26quot; or cross my left ankle over my right knee. It makes simple things like squatting down to tie my son%26#039;s shoe or clipping my toenails difficult.





I did not have the pain until I started my pt/recovery for ACL reconstruction in the same knee.





I have had two major surgeries in the last 18mo. I am ok with surgery, but I do not want to go back to square one with my running AGAIN! I am so over recovering from surgery and going to physical therapy...LOL!





1) How long before I can start running again if I have a miniscectomy?





2) Is there a risk in putting off the surgery?





Thanks in advance!

How long before you can run after meniscus surgery?
The recovery from a meniscus surgery is a lot faster than recovery from ACL surgery. However, mensicectomy is hardly performed anymore. Rather, they usually perform an arthroscopic debridement to %26quot;smooth out%26quot; the tear. Preservation of the mensicus is helpful in the long run. Therapy is often done in weeks rather than months. It%26#039;s a rather simple procedure and post operative recovery is mainly focused on restoring range of motion and general strength...you do not get as big of a shut down in muscular function as you do with ACL repair. Yet, running needs to be introduced gradually in accordance to the guidelines established by your surgeon. At the very earliest, running might be able to be resumed in 4-6 weeks, however, your surgeon may have other preferences based on what he/she sees in there.





I can%26#039;t say that putting off the surgery will necessarily put you at any risk...but I suppose it is possible to tear it further requiring a larger piece to be debrided which could permanently alter the mechanics of the joint.





Good luck



diet

No comments:

Post a Comment